Hospital surgery deaths investigated by police
Posted: February 24, 2014
Posted in: Medical Negligence Wrongful & Accidental Death
A police investigation has been launched in Worcestershire following the deaths of numerous patients under the care of a consultant surgeon. Sudip Sarker worked as a consultant colorectal surgeon at Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust having already been suspended from the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch in October 2012, after being employed in August 2011. The investigation was launched after West Mercia Police received a letter in December, highlighting the deaths of three patients that were all under the care of Sudip Sarker.
The trust said that that at the time of Mr Sarker’s suspension there were numerous complaints raised by patients. Supt Kevin Purcell, of West Mercia Police, said: “We were made aware that there were a number of concerns in relation to the deaths of patients in 2012 who had been under Mr Sarker’s care … We are in the early stages of obtaining the relevant information from hospitals and other health organisations in order to conduct our investigation.”
Families are being updated
The General Medical Council said that they could not stop Mr Sarker working all together, but have attained an interim order restricting where Mr Sarker can practice. A spokesman from the council said that they could not confirm where and if Mr Sarker is practicing currently. The families of the three patients who died under his care are being updated on every finding of the investigation.
A review of patients who were treated by Mr Sarker is currently taking place, in addition to an inquiry line and dedicated email address for people to discuss any concerns regarding his practice.
« 40% of sufferers do not claim for whiplash injuries
Call for stricter medical checks for divers after man suffers heart attack »