Music festival worker killed driving forklift
Posted: August 17, 2014
Posted in: Workplace Injuries
A man was killed while driving a forklift truck for a music festival in Gloucestershire earlier this week. The 33-year-old man had been working to prepare Sallywood Farm, Horsely for the Surround Festival, a music festival that was due to start on Saturday 16th of August. The festival was due to see around 500 people on each day and was almost sold out. The festival has now been cancelled.
Gloucestershire Police said that the incident is being treated as an ‘industrial accident’, and will be investigated by the police, Stroud District Council and the Health and Safety Executive. A police spokesperson said that officers, fire crews and an ambulance were all called to the site shortly after the accident happened.
“Highly experienced in their role”
The accident happened in the morning of the 14th of August, with the Surround Festival’s website stating: “The incident involved someone highly experienced in their role, operating equipment they were fully trained to use.” The police said that they are still unsure as to whether the man had actually been driving the forklift truck when the incident happened.
Festival organisers cancelled the event with great remorse. All those who purchased tickets are to receive a full refund.
A festival spokesperson said: “Our thoughts are with their friends and family at this difficult time.”
« FA to research effects of head injuries on players
Children ill from coach fumes »